Fire and Emergency services were called to an electrical fire on Friday 22 May at 7pm. A power cable was down on Bay Road, and Firefighter Rob Smith says it’s unclear what happened to cause the resulting electrical blaze and power outages. Firefighters immediately shut the road down and dampened the vicinity.
“There was a lot of intense electrical energy heating the area up. Once it was under control Vector turned up and started repairing the cable,” says Mr Smith.
As we head deeper into autumn, Mr Smith is also asking Waiheke residents to check their in-home fire alarms and detectors are working.
“People are drying clothes and other items close to heaters and using indoor fires as the weather cools down. Now is the time to ensure all smoke alarms are working.”
As there has been a change in fire season and Covid-19 alert levels, Mr Smith says people have also been spending more time outdoors and reminds the community that the island is under a restricted fire season and a fire permit is required.
• Sophie Boladeras